What types of cannabis licenses are available?MCSB offers four main license types for cannabis manufacturers: 

Type 7 – for extraction using a volatile solvent (ex: butane, propane and hexane) 
Type 6 – for extraction using a mechanical method or non-volatile solvent (ex: CO2, ethanol, water, or food-grade dry ice, cooking oils or butter) 
Type N – for infusions
Type P – for packaging and labeling only

Each license type is inclusive of the types in the list below it. For example, a Type 7 licensee would be able to perform Type 6, N or P tasks. A Type 6 license could perform Type N or P tasks. A Type N licensee would be able to perform Type P tasks.

In addition to these four licenses, MCSB offers a fifth license type, Type S, for shared-use manufacturing facilities. This license type is for businesses and facility owners that alternate use of a single manufacturing premises.

Do I need two separate licenses to do two types of manufacturing?

You do not need two licenses to conduct different types of manufacturing operations at the same premises, as long as all activities are disclosed on the application. A Type 7 licensee can also conduct Type 6, N & P activities on the same premises. A Type 6 licensee can conduct Type N & P activities on the same premises. A Type N licensee can conduct Type P activities on the same premises.

Is there a limit to the number of licenses CDPH will issue?

No limit is in place for the number of licenses that CDPH will issue.

Can I package flower or pre-rolls if I am a licensed manufacturer?

Yes, manufacturers may package flower or pre-rolls. Flower and pre-rolls that only contain flower must meet the packaging and labeling standards outlined in the California Business and Professions Code. Pre-rolls that also contain concentrates (“infused” pre-rolls) must meet the packaging and labeling requirements for manufactured products that are outlined in the MCSB regulations for cannabis manufacturing.

Do I need a manufacturing license if I make CBD products?

If the CBD in your products comes from a cannabis plant, you will need a license from our office to conduct commercial cannabis manufacturing. However, CBD from industrial hemp is not regulated under the state’s cannabis regulatory framework.

The California Department of Food & Agriculture’s Industrial Hemp Advisory Board has some information on the current state laws surrounding industrial hemp and a list of FAQs on their website.